Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods

Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods

Release Date: May 10, 2016
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Rated: YA 14+
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads Website

Fans of Jennifer E. Smith and Jenny Han will fall in love with this heartfelt and humor-laced debut following one girl’s race to find the guy of her cosmic dreams.

When zodiac-obsessed teen Wilamena Carlisle discovers a planetary alignment that won’t repeat for a decade, she’s forced to tackle her greatest astrological fear: The Fifth House—relationships and love. 

But when Wil falls for a sensitive guitar player hailing from the wrong side of the astrology chart, she must decide whether a cosmically doomed love is worth rejecting her dead mother’s legacy and the very system she’s faithfully followed through a lifetime of unfailing belief.

I don't really believe the astrological signs. Sure, it's a fun thing to check out–y'know, your daily horoscope, learning about who you are or what your sign prescribes you to be, and sure, there are actually a ton of similarities that I find. All in all, though, I don't believe it too much. Well, despite my somewhat skeptical nature toward the subject, I thought that Summer of Supernovas would be a cute contemporary to read this summer because firstly, I don't think I've read about astrology in a young adult contemporary setting, and secondly, it's interesting to see how one who follows the charts religiously is so determined to find a perfect match based on the signs. And it was! This book was adorable, and there were so many things that worked well that made this an enjoyable read.

Wil and I are both Aquarii (that's plural of Aquarius, just FYI)! I really liked the quirky edge she has. However, I did have a problem with her–and it was just for one part of the book majorly, but kinda carried out(ish) throughout the rest of the novel. I mean, okay, I get that astrology is a big part of your life, but you don't need to have a flipping panic attack when you find out that a guy is potentially a Pieces (aka the sign she wants to avoid), right in the middle of hitting it off with him. I get it, especially since she follows this lifestyle pretty much to the T, but a sign doesn't make a person. I mean, if everyone was like their sign, we'd have a world of pretty similar people. Anyway, enough of me rambling against her philosophy. She was a great character otherwise! I just wish she'd take more initiative for her own feelings and try to focus more on herself rather than what the signs tell her.

OMG, YOU GUYS: the romance was so cute!! ARGH, it was so intense and so frustrating (in a good way). It really keeps you on your toes throughout the whole book. There was so much swoon and so much tension! Usually, I'm not too big a fan of love triangles, but this was just so entertaining. The conflict! The DRAMA. Seth and Grant–choices, choices, choices, and a twist to top it all off! I'm glad the romance aspect was so well done, because if it wasn't this book wouldn't have been as amazing as it was.

Absolutely adorable, Summer of Supernovas is a book you need to kick back and relax with this summer. Darcy Woods's cute contemporary is a worthwhile read: two cute boys, one astrologically-crazed girl, and a whole lot of drama that ensues...what's not to like?


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Cassie at Random House Children's Books for sending me a copy for review! ▪ ▪ ▪

If you like this, try...

5 comments:

  1. Aww, this looks so wonderful! I actually do believe in astrological signs ahah, but maybe not too seriously. I think, like you, that they're fun to read. Can't wait to read this!! Wonderful review you wrote there xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really do the whole astrology thing either. My supervisor at my job totally does, and as soon as she meets a new student worker or full-time employee, she asks them what their sign is. It's funny!

    I know you said you're not a fan of love triangles, but the fact that you mentioned one has me running far, far away from this book. o_O I had no idea this book had a love triangle! And to think I was actually considering reading this one. Nope nope nope! There is too much too read, amirite? :D

    Lovely review, Rabiah!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my kind of read, definitely checking it out. Nice review, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything that gives the readers this much of a reaction is really good. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not much into astrology either, but the concept seems really cute and I know some people really believe in it! I'm planning to read this one very soon because I won it in a giveaway!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!