Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway


Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Release Date: January 15, 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Series: Touch of Death, Book 1
Rated: YA 14+
Format: ARC
Source: Author
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Jodi Marshall isn’t sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she’s in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she’s being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he’s not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she’s part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendents of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi’s deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn’t difficult enough, Jodi discovers she’s the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can’t figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.

After reading The 13th Sign, I became a lot more familiar with Ophiuchus, and was surprised to see it make an appearance in Touch of Death as well. However, rather than just about the zodiac sign, this novel focused more on the mythology behind it, integrating the story of Medusa and Hades with a touch that can kill.
I really enjoyed this story– it's original, it's got good action, and it's got a storyline that makes sense. I was definitely hooked and intrigued throughout the novel. It had plenty of twists and turns which I didn't see coming– they caught me by complete surprise! The book had so much substance, and I found myself delving deeper into Hasway's novel.

Jodi was a character whom I had ups and downs with. I liked her, I definitely liked her, but then at times she's come off a little whiny? She's also very stubborn– something that goes with her sign! I really enjoyed learning more about her story, her hero's quest, and how she deals with being the "chosen one".
There's always gotta be this ONE guy! Alex was amazing. I mean, when Jodi was all like, "oh my gosh, he's a stalker guy!" and I was drooling all over. I mean, green eyes– that's all I needed, and he had me.
The rest of the characters are really interesting as well– the thing is, you really don't know who to trust. There's a ton of twists as I mentioned before, and people are changing personalities all over the place. I really felt bad for Jodi's mom. I mean, to not have a husband, and then lose her daughter, it's pretty sad. I was quite heartbroken about it! Jodi's mother is quite hilarious as she is quite young, she's got that "teenage" side to her as well as being the determined mom.

What I didn't enjoy too much was the pace of the novel. Most of the plot happens quite spread out, and I felt that some of it could have been done without. At the beginning, it seemed like it was mentioning what she was doing step by step, and it seemed as it was mainly filler. But later on, wow, the plot just picked up and blasted off at full speed! I loved the second half of the book definitely better than the first.

Overall, Touch of Death has me eagerly anticipating for the sequel, Stalked by Death. After that ending, I'm curious to see how this story continues out. Kelly Hashway has written an original paranormal which attract readers and mythology nerds alike.


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Kelly Hashway for sending a copy of Touch of Death for review and BTG2013! ▪ ▪ ▪

If you like this, try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!