The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb


The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb

Release Date: January 8, 2013
Published: Feiwel & Friends
Rated: MG/YA 12+
Format: Hardcover
Source: Author
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

What if there was a 13th zodiac sign? 

You’re no longer Sagittarius, but Ophiuchus, the healer, the 13th sign. 

Your personality has changed. So has your mom’s and your best friend’s. 

What about the rest of the world? 

What if you were the one who accidentally unlocked the 13th sign, causing this world-altering change—and infuriating the other 12 signs?  

Jalen did it, and now she must use every ounce of her strength and cunning to send the signs back where they belong. Lives, including her own, depend on it.

Whenever I'd flip through a magazine and come through the horoscope section, I would just look for my zodiac sign (Aquarius) and then continue flipping on. I never really looked into the mythology behind the zodiac, and The 13th Sign was definitely an interesting way to get introduced to it.
Initially, when I first started reading this book, it stalled for a little while, it was a little slow. I was at first also confused what was going on, but then BAM– everything picked up! I love the use of mythology in the modern world, like with the Percy Jackson series, and this was certainly no exception. It was fun, action-packed and very informative on the zodiac.

Even though the main characters were younger than I am, I still found myself connecting to them. I appreciated Jalen's vulnerability, it was just something that made her more human! I often find it odd when character's are just rush into action, waiting for danger to arrive, but of course, she's got that courage, sure, but she's also shown fear and even at one point, had given up. I, personally, would be freaked if I was in this situation and would probably curl up into a ball and wish it would end. I admire her bold nature and determination, and could empathize with her pain and sadness.
Ellie is Jalen's best friend and she's adorable! I love the complications that arise with her (you'll see when you read the book!), and she adds so much of that hilarious element to the novel. Her brother Brennan is also someone who's hilarious at times, and his change when the thirteenth zodiac is added is quite apparent, likewise with his sister. His personality is really different from the first impression we get of him, and it's just such a hilariously adventurous journey with these three!

I mentioned previously that it reminds me of the Percy Jackson series and there's another reason to that, other than modern mythology: the zodiac signs? They're totally like the gods! Each come up in random places, presenting a new challenge for Jalen and her friends. They're also present in different forms, so they just keep springing up everywhere! It's interesting to see how their attributes are portrayed in human form.
There's also a lot of information on each sign of the zodiac throughout this book. I learnt quite a lot about my own sign as well as some of the others, and it was cool to see the personality traits, the weaknesses, the flaws, etc. of each sign as well.

The setting of this novel is GORGEOUS. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans (Mardi Gras, hello?!), and this book really brought the landscape to life. I could imagine easily what it was like, how the city was laid out, and the cultures which are prominent in this fabulous city. The element of voodoo is something new to me in YA fiction and so I liked the culture and mythology associated with it added into this novel.

The 13th Sign is a novel which children, teens, and adults alike will enjoy. It's got action, humor and originality pouring out of the pages. Kristin O'Donnell Tubb has written a fabulous book, one which has both taught me so much, and had me flipping pages like mad. Definitely give this one a try– you won't regret it!


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Kristin O'Donnell Tubb for providing a copy of The 13th Sign for review and BTG2013! ▪ ▪ ▪

If you like this, try...

  • The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan ● Goodreads
  • Fablehaven by Brandon Mull Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!