Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Release Date: February 15, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: The Body Finder, Book 2
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Read my review of The Body Finder HERE.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

I had to end up re-reading this one, because I had The Last Echo but couldn't really remember what happens in this one. WOWIE. That suspense is still there. Even though I started remembering a lot of the details along the way, I was chilled to the bone and freaked out until the end. The suspense was brilliantly built up and crescendoed to the climax, which I did not see the first time round reading this book.

Much like Nora from Hush, Hush I didn't like Violet in the second book as much as I did in the first. She's definitely a great character, but she can be pretty moody at times (who can ever get mad at Jay?!) and it kind of annoyed me at times. Oh well...
Speaking of, JAY JAY JAY. LOVE HIM! Best male character...ever. Oh fine, okay, he's up there in the top ten. Love him in this book. He's just so sweet and protective of Violet! and Oh My GOD, Rafe is amazing. I definitely can't wait to read The Last Echo to find out more about him :)
The stalker in this book is really creepy. It slowly reveals who it actually is, and I thought Derting did this so well with selective detail. The whole twist at the end was such a shocker (even the second time round) and I was totally holding my breath the whole time. THAT GOOD PEOPLE. All of Derting's books (which I've read) have this sudden twist and it's just like, WOW, every single time.

This was a short review, but definitely do not skip over this series! Desires of the Dead is a fabulous sequel to The Body Finder and I can't WAIT to get started on The Last Echo. And if I was freaked out, reading this book the second time round, it's one not to miss.


If you like this, try...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!