Allegiance by Cayla Kluver

Allegiance by Cayla Kluver

Release Date: February 28, 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Series: Legacy, Book 2
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite


Read my review of Legacy HERE.


Only I saw Narian for who he truly was: a young man with courage and an independent mind, and made to pay for what was outside his control. He couldn't help his past any more than he could help the way those intense, deep-blue eyes pierced me and held me captive.

An eighteen-year-old queen in love with the enemy as their countries pass the point of no return...

Bound to a man she cannot love, Queen Alera of Hytanica must forget Narian, the young man who holds her heart. For Narian is destined to conquer Hytanica at the behest of his master, the powerful magic-user known as the Overlord. Alera doesn't truly believe Narian will fight against Hytanica-until Cokyrian troops attack with Narian commanding the charge.

Faced with the greatest betrayal a heart can know, Alera must set aside personal feelings and lead her kingdom through its darkest time. And when all hope, will and courage seem lost, she must find strength and remember that even the blackest night must have a dawn....

It has been a while since I've read Cayla Kluver's Legacy and I've been putting this one off because of other books for review, but FINALLY I've managed to crack through and read this one. Oh. My. Gosh. I thought I had forgotten everything and would really need to jog my memory when starting this book, when when I read about the beautiful descriptions of Hytanica and Cokyri, and the small hints about what happened in the previous book, I was back in with the flow. I've mentioned this before, but I am INCREDIBLY jealous of Kluver... she wrote the first book when she was 16!! Now that's talent for sure.
This one was a big turning point for me. My views changed, the story grabbed me and everything was either making me clutch my throat in shock or nearly popping my eyes out of my head. It was seriously that good.

I think Alera's character truly must have been a toughie to write about. She's totally going against the whole "I'm a princess, I'm a delicate flower" thing, like in the first book, but she's completely headstrong in this one, and determined to save her kingdom. However, it was kind of annoying the way she kept mooning after Narian. Yes, yes, we all know he's the hottie mchottie hero, but he doesn't have to be the thought on her mind every other page does he? And I felt bad for Steldor. Like seriously, so bad... (and all you Narian fans I know will kill me) that I kind of... changed to Team Steldor. In the first book, Legacy, yes he was a pompous jerk with no other intention other than marrying Alera for her beauty. But Allegiance showed another side to him. He's so sweet, and he really shows how much he loves Alera, you can totally see it radiating off of him. GAH, I felt so frustrated with her for refusing to like him just the teensiest bit back.
Narian didn't make much of an appearance in the book, but I didn't feel anything for him sadly, like I did in the first. Too much Steldor has taken over my mind, I'm afraid...

This book completely shattered me. It was so very much like Mockingjay. If you get that reference, prepare to be saddened greatly, because my eyes were starting to water with every big BANG.
HOWEVER, not to end this review (nearly) with a sad note, this book completely enraptured me. I was stuck reading this large book in one sitting, my eyes glued to my laptop's screen, not willing to let go of this beautiful world and the amazing (and some dangerous) people in it.

Overall, if you've read Legacy I BEG of you– read this now! And if you haven't read this series yet, you better run very far away right now... Allegiance was mind-blowingly beautiful, radiantly engrossing and a fantastically gripping read. Cayla Kluver has done it again: she made me fall in love once more...and I'm sure I will again with the third and final book, Sacrifice!


If you like this, try...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!