A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan

A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan

Release Date: June 5, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Series: Digit, Book 1
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Farrah "Digit" Higgins may be going to MIT in the fall, but this L.A. high school genius has left her geek self behind in another school district so she can blend in with the popular crowd at Santa Monica High and actuallyenjoy her senior year. But when Farrah, the daughter of a UCLA math professor, unknowingly cracks a terrorist group's number sequence, her laid-back senior year gets a lot more interesting. Soon she is personally investigating the case, on the run from terrorists, and faking her own kidnapping-- all while trying to convince a young, hot FBI agent to take her seriously. So much for blending in...

FBI? Terrorists? A Girl who is completely obsessed with numbers and is named after one of the Charlie's Angels? I'm SO. IN.
From the beginning we know that Farrah has to try very hard to fit in, to be normal and popular at school, because her math gift totally takes over her life if she isn't in control. Sounds pretty hard right? So when a strange number sequence appears on a TV show, she immediately cracks it and informs the FBI. I was immediately intrigued because this book was really original, just from the blurb alone. I found myself glued to my laptop's screen, reading this book non-stop because it is very action-packed... action-and-romance-wise! You will NOT be disappointed.

I love how this book features slightly older characters, which you don't get too much in YA. I mean, Farrah's 17 (close to 18) in this novel, but the guy, John, is slightly older, like around 21. Different, but a good change I must say!
I really loved Farrah. I mean, it was hard not to. I love her internal monologue– totally cracked me up every time! I like how easily she went with the situation, but also found things challenging, like a normal person would. Her emotions really came through to me in the book, conflicting feelings for John, missing home and her normal life, the struggle to fit in: all of it, Monaghan had done brilliantly.
John, oh John, you make my heart go wild. Now days I'm loving the bad boys with a sweet side sort, but there's something definitely hot about an FBI agent...and one that's young. And did I mention hot? Oh yes, you definitely need to read this book now.

Even though I totally loved this book, there was one problem, which I'm sure everyone except the math genius' will understand: the number sequences and codes! I didn't understand ANY of it (haha, like John as well) and it was rather confusing how Farrah/Digit was explaining it. Had to skip over it to see how it generally turned out! But everything ran smoothly other than that.
Another thing I must say is that I drew up comparisons with the movie Knight and Day when reading this book. It's quite similar! With the "clueless" girl (in this case, not too clueless) and the agent, it's definitely a thrill ride you don't want to miss out on.

I absolutely loved A Girl Named DigitIt's fast, it's hot and it's just plain-oh-gosh-darn-it-amazing. I was swooped into this world from the first word and I was giggling, gasping and goggling my eyes out with every twist and turn. Annabel Monaghan, thank you for writing such a fabulous debut, and please please PLEASE: More John in book 2!!

If you like this, try...


2 comments:

  1. I had a LOT of math in school and I pretty much sucked at it, so that would be fun to try out :p haha. I always like to think hard about something I come across :) I really like the sound of this book; I think it's great that the characters are slightly older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read A Girl Named Digit! I've had it on my TBR list for a while. For some seriously odd reason, I'm obsessed with patterns in numbers and stuff, so much that I have this notebook committed to recording such things, which makes the math genius part in Farrah's character very much something I'd like to read about. Thanks for this fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!