Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford


Release Date: September 1, 2010
Publisher: Scholastic
Rating: YA 14+
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

The Sullivan sisters have a big problem. On Christmas Day their rich and imperious grandmother gathers the family and announces that she will soon die . . .and has cut the entire family out of her will. Since she is the source of almost all their income, this means they will soon be penniless.


Someone in the family has offended her deeply. If that person comes forward with a confession of her (or his) crime, submitted in writing to her lawyer by New Year's Day, she will reinstate the family in her will. Or at least consider it.

And so the confessions begin...

I decided to give this one a whirl when it was new to my school library (okay, I admit I was wowed by the cover), and I didn't know what to expect when I started into this book. And let me tell you this: I enjoyed it. It's fresh, original and 'sparky', the three stories of the three sisters all look at the same time frame and same events with a fresh outlook from three perspectives.


Norrie, Jane, and Sassy in typical fictitious sisterly-fashion, all have completely different personalities. Just like the March Sisters (Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy), Norrie is the mature one with a heart set on romance and embracing adulthood, Jane is the rebellious, fun and continues to try to expose her family for who they really are, and Sassy is the adorable, innocent sister who has a lot on her plate.


Out of the three I liked Jane the best because of her hilarious nature, and for going against the stereotype of the rich class. She's determined and has a soft side...for a total (okay, sorta) badass. 
Sassy on the other hand acted too much of a baby I would say. I don't know about you all but when I was in the 9th grade, I wouldn't have believed that I was immortal for being in too many accidents and getting off with nothing more than a bruise. The way her tone was during throughout her story was kind of childish and I would say, the least interesting, although her tuition sessions are something to giggle about.
AANNNNDDD Norrie. Well, there's not much to say. I think she's a neutral character. You don't really hate her, but you don't like her as well. But I gotta say, her story's the best... it's got the most stuff going on.


The ending however, was somewhat predictable. I'm not gonna give anything away, but *shrugs* I guess I saw that one coming. I love how all three sisters only find comfort in each other and how their different stories intertwine together in the end.


Natalie Standiford has written a volume of three confessions by the Sullivan Sisters. Love, Freedom, and Godliness are written in these stories for a family to save their fortune. I loved it and will definitely be looking for more by this author.


OH, and www.myevilfamily.com actually exists!


If you like this book, try...

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one, it sounds good. I like books told in different perspectives. I've read one book where you looked at the same timeframe and same events from different POV and I thought it would be boring but I really enjoyed it. I'll be adding this to my list =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this book before. It looks really good! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!