Drink, Slay, Love by Susan Beth Durst

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst


Release Date: September 13th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Rating: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.
Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.
The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?

**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final cover and text is subject to change.**


Okay, first things first: LOVE the play on the title! Incase you didn't get it at first (like me :P) it's a play on Eat, Pray, Love...except, Vampirised!
and two: this has got to be the most original and hilarious vampire story of all.
First thing you definitely notice in the blurb, the mention of the unicorn. How awesome is that?? Not only is it a mythological creature which has never really been introduced into YA paranormal (not that I know of anyway), but alongside a vampire?? double awesomeness. Totally contrasts: blood and happiness. Dark and Light. You get the picture.


Pearl our vampy-turned-not-so-vampy main character. Okay, total badass. Not only is she a vampire, but GASP, in the world of literary vampires who (a) don't drink blood and (b) are actually nice to humans, she is a complete meanie. I mean it. Seriously evil. Wouldn't think twice about drinking your blood and kicking your butt.
Then we cue the cutie of the story. EVAN. Totally in love with him. When have I ever come away from a book (now that I think about it) without falling in love with a boy character?? Jeez, anyway, so sweet, amazing and you'll definitely fall in love with him. Not going to give anything more away. Then there's the chipper "sidekick" aka Pearl's personal guide to high school Bethany. Adorable! Totally the sunshiney-never-get-you-down type. Love her optimism during the whole book and I think she's amazing how she's just always there for Pearl...despite certain situations.


All the minor characters in this story were really cool. Like all the relatives of Pearl's were very interesting to read about. Just got a little confused with who was who in some bits, but nothing too major. Really like how some of them are just bat-crazy, gone mad with age :D.
I also loved the geeky "vampire-hunter-wannabees" Zeke and Matt. They made me laugh like crazy! I swear, they're priceless. Made me think of some geek pairings in tv shows and movies, like State of Georgia's (which is now unfortunately cancelled!) Seth and Leo.


Sarah Beth Durst has taken an interesting turn on vampires with this novel, which everyone will be glad of. It's a great break for vamp-lovin' readers who are tired of vampire boarding schools, vampire love triangles, or those who are completely human friendly. Funny, fresh and freakin' AWESOME, this book will totally blow your mind. You will not stop reading it from start to finish. That's a promise. I don't know if there's going to be a sequel, because it was fine where it ended, yet there was room for more storyline and continuation. Anyway, can't wait to read more of Durst's books. If they're anything like this, I will LOVE it. 
If you like this, try...

5 comments:

  1. Well, it definitely sounds refreshing and funny. I've been wondeirng about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! This one is definitely on my TBR list and I can't wait to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really quite enjoyed this review! When I first read about this book, I immediately put it on my TBR list. The more reviews I read about it, the more excited I get to read it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked it! I just got the book, so I'm pretty excited to read it! It sounds really funny and I'm glad that the minor characters are also cool. In some books minor characters can come off really bland. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose to read this review by chance, but I'm glad I did. Perhaps I should add this to my TBR pile. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!