Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns by John Green


Published: October 16th, 2008
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Rating: YA 14+
Source: Borrowed from Library
AmazonGoodreads
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows. 
After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew. 
Printz medalist John Green returns with the brilliant wit and searing emotional honesty that have inspired a new generation of listeners.




So... What is a Paper Town?


That's what I asked when I first picked up this book. Nobody knew so I did what most people would do: Google it. I then came across this definition on "Omnictionary" (which I later found was a part of the book!):


A Paper Town is a fictional place that cartographers put on their maps so they can tell when someone breaches copyright and copies their map. They can tell, because it will also contain the fictional place.


Wow...they actually do that? Anyway, it didn't really concern me until I reached the part in the book where it mentions 'Paper Towns'. So anyway, on to the review!


This book really gets you thinking. The Clues in the poems, the reference to different singers, different phrases–everything, just adds up and the connections between things are AMAZING! I seriously had no idea ANY of those things could possible connect. And the Clues? Hidden in meaningful places, so well hidden with only the smallest hint of where to find them. Of course, Quentin has help from his awesome (and hilarious!) friends, Radar, Ben and Lacey. Every step through this is a thrillingly-close experience of discovery.


This is my first John Green novel. I've heard of The Abundance of Katherines and people said it was really good! But this one was standing out in the "new arrivals" in the school library so I just grabbed this one instead.


Well. I think I'd better to go to the library to check out The Abundance of Katherines, 'cause this book was AMAZING!


I have never been so caught up in a story line like this, which is written so... realistically. The beginning made me laugh a lot though, with Quentin going out at night with Margo, and I still think that maybe it could happen. Not saying that we should break into amusement parks!
I really think that the climax AND road trip part was the best though. The climax (I won't tell you what it is) was pretty good, cliffhanging and I didn't really know what to make of it. The road trip part was hilarious, exhilarating and adventurous and I really feel that I there with them as they took turns driving, quickly getting in and out for toilet breaks, etc. What I found interestingly different was the fact that no was one of those "stereo-typical characters". No one was the pretty blonde cheerleader (popular people though!), the tough jock (although...yeah maybe there was one) and all characters were just ones that I actually might find at a high school. And I love how Lacey breaks the barrier of the "social class" in school by going out with Ben :) that was cute!


Overall, Paper Towns is a read for those who want a little bit more, something interesting, something to get you thinking. Poetry and Mystery lovers alike will love this book as it offers something special for all readers.




If you like this book, try...

2 comments:

  1. I loved Paper Towns also! It's so great. I did a review on my blog a while back, and it didn't get all that much attention either. It's a shame, because this book is great!

    I have An Abundance of Katherines, but haven't read it yet. I still need to get Looking for Alaska and Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

    I love John Green. :)Do you watch him and his brother on youtube?

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just commenting to let you know that I LOVE JOHN GREEN...and ya...WHY HAVE YOU NOT READ TFiOS? NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!